MA Applied Linguistics and TESOL
The MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is aimed at graduate teachers and other English Language Teaching professionals with at least a year's English language teaching experience who wish to further their academic and professional development.
This degree will provide you with:
- A critical understanding of key issues and debates in many areas of Applied Linguistics and of how these relate to English Language Teaching.
- A body of knowledge that will enhance your ability to undertake language teaching at a range of levels in different cultural and institutional contexts.
- The ability to reflect, analyse and critically evaluate language teaching and learning concepts and theories, and to understand and examine the assumptions underlying different classroom practices.
- The skills to undertake effective practitioner research in your specific area of interest.
You will also benefit from our active involvement in research in different areas of Applied Linguistics and TESOL. If you take the two ‘Language Testing and Assessment’ modules and choose a language testing topic for your Dissertation, you will be awarded an MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL with Language Testing’. The field of English Language Teaching is increasingly competitive and many organisations see a Master's level qualification as an essential requirement. Many of our graduates go on to gain promotion in their existing jobs or to move on to more senior or challenging posts. This course is a powerful vehicle for both personal and professional development.
- Hold a Bachelors degree from a University with a First class classification and an average of at least 60/75%
- You should normally be a teacher or working in the English Language Teaching field with one year's teaching experience.
- IELTS Waiver for Indian Students - At least 70% marks in English language course in Higher Secondary School.
- For Indian Students:- Also accept, as evidence of English language skills, an undergraduate degree from one of the following Indian universities (including affiliated colleges): Anna University, Mumbai University, Pune University, Bangalore University, University of Delhi, University of Madras, Indian Institutes of Management (IIM), Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT).